The Resource Account book of unidentified Virginia[?] merchant, 1842-1870
- Account book of unidentified Virginia[?] merchant, 1842-1870
- Title number
- The journal contains daily business summaries taken from the "diary" and crosshatched for ledger entry; merchandise inventories, 1842, 1844, 1846; lists of accounts due, 1844, 1853; ledger entries, 1853-1856; and notes on various types of business transactions from the son of the owner engaged in learning the business, including a note that "Pa" owes him $10 for reading articles in the Philadelphia Sunday Mercury every day for a month. The last entry for 1862 mentions the boarding out of two Arabian colts until the owner could "safely receive them."
- There is also an 1860 account of the farming trial of an overseer or tenant at "Osborne" and an 1870 list of farming equipment and stock at "Osborne" and "Hofflands" as leased by Joseph H. Burgess together with a brief account of his farming responsibilities
- The volume also contains "The Investigators," a description of a society formed in 1867 called the "Court of Redress" which debated the evils of the country and their amendment and to which pettifogging lawyers would not be admitted
- The center of the volume contains a flower pressed together with a ribbon and a lock of hair
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Account book of unidentified Virginia[?] merchant, 1842-1870
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Account book of unidentified Virginia[?] merchant, 1842-1870
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/DSXa3SuoZs4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/DSXa3SuoZs4/">Account book of unidentified Virginia[?] merchant, 1842-1870</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/">University of Virginia Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by University of Virginia Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...