The Resource Papers of Louise O. Wensel, 1958-1993
- Papers of Louise O. Wensel, 1958-1993
- Inclusive dates
- School integration -- Massive resistance movement
- Carter, Curry
- African American newspapers
- Stone, Kathryn H., (Kathryn Haeseler), 1906-1995
- Campaign management -- Virginia
- Elections -- Virginia -- 1958
- Freehil, Joseph
- Byrd, Harry F., (Harry Flood), 1887-1966
- African Americans -- Segregation
- Voting -- Virginia
- African Americans -- Virginia
- School integration -- Virginia
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- Segregation in education -- Virginia
- Wensel's papers pertain entirely to her 1958 Senatorial campaign against Senator Harry F. Byrd, Sr., and include correspondence, editorials, press releases speeches, and newspaper articles together with her own account of her candidacy "Virginia Candidate for the United States Senate in 1958: Defeating Harry Byrd's 'Massive Resistance' School-Closing Policy."
- Letters from friends and supporters discuss her platform, views on massive resistance, segregation and integrated schools, the Byrd organization, and campaign contributions and assistance. There is scattered correspondence of her campaign manager Richard Bain
- Of interest is a letter from Charlottesville newspaper publisher Randolph L. White explaining that he gave her a mild endorsement because a stronger one would arouse a white protest vote against any candidate endorsed by a Negro paper
- Post campaign material includes letters concerning Senator Curry Carter's harrassing suit against Wensel, the death of Joseph Freehill, and concerns for the safety of her children. Kathryn Stone's analysis of long term results of her campaign are briefly noted. There is also an article by Paul Dawson "Can a Doctor Afford to Be Controversial."
- Biographical or historical data
- Fisherville, Va., physician and Independent candidate for the U.S. Semate in 1958 against encumbent Harry F. Byrd, Sr.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Papers of Louise O. Wensel, 1958-1993
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Papers of Louise O. Wensel, 1958-1993
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/KpXWrcYlE_c/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/KpXWrcYlE_c/">Papers of Louise O. Wensel, 1958-1993</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/">University of Virginia Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by University of Virginia Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...