The Resource Additional David D. Newsom papers
- Additional David D. Newsom papers
- The papers consist chiefly of invitations to social and diplomatic events. The collection also includes some correspondence; a file of materials on the role of the foreign service wife compiled by Jean Newsom; financial statements on a 1973 benefit organized by Jean Newsom to raise funds for drought relief in the Sahel; and, a map of Baghdad, circa 1950, showing bus routes and annotated to show sites connected to Newsom's service there
- Of interest is a Christmas card, 1975, from George H.W. and Barbara Bush that includes photographs of the Bush family (George H.W., Barbara, Dorothy, Marvin, George W., Jeb, Columba, and Neil) in China; with a note in Barbara Bush's hand
- Biographical or historical data
- Ambassador Newsom was a professional Foreign Service officer and held posts in numerous countries, including Pakistan, Norway, Iraq, Britain, Libya, Indonesia, Iran and the Philippines. He also served as Under Secretary of State of Political Affairs and as Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs (1969-1974), and was appointed U.S. Ambassador to Libya (1965-1969), to Indonesia (1973-1977) and to the Philippines (1977-1978). In October 2001, he was one of 28 former ambassadors and envoys who asked President Bush to continue working with Arab and Muslim allies in the war against terrorism. Mr. Newsom was one of the 27 retired diplomats and military officers who signed a statement in June 2004 criticizing the Bush administration's conduct of foreign policy. In 1991, he was the first to hold the Hugh S. and Winifred B. Cumming Memorial Chair in International Affairs at the University of Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
ContextContext of Additional David D. Newsom papers
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Additional David D. Newsom papers
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/cre80fUscTc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/cre80fUscTc/">Additional David D. Newsom papers</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/">University of Virginia Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by University of Virginia Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...