The Resource Alexis J. Seymour letter, 1861 July 15
- Alexis J. Seymour letter, 1861 July 15
- Inclusive dates
- 1861 July 15
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- African Americans
- Kilpatrick, Judson, 1836-1881
- Fugitive slaves -- Virginia
- Butler, Benjamin F., (Benjamin Franklin), 1818-1893
- United States
- United States
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Russell, William Howard, Sir, 1820-1907
- Letters (Correspondence)
- Seymour requests more letters from home; mentions an unsuccessful march to engage the enemy near the old Bethel battlefield; speculates on the next actions and whether he might join the ambitious Captain Kilpatrick in a new cavalry company; and enquires after family and acquaintances
- Of interest are his discussions of the approximately 50 "contraband" in camp whose appearance and behavior belie the stereotype of "jolly, contented chattel," and of the elegant homes and deserted countryside "going to ruin."
- There are brief references to London Times correspondent William H. Russell, a review by General Butler, the "sacred soil" of Virginia and the unchivalrous and boastful Confederates, and Sunday services
- Biographical or historical data
- Soldier in the 4th Connecticut Infantry, later reorganized as the First Connecticut Heavy Artillery.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Alexis J. Seymour letter, 1861 July 15
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Alexis J. Seymour letter, 1861 July 15
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/wFFuLMi8rYQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/resource/wFFuLMi8rYQ/">Alexis J. Seymour letter, 1861 July 15</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.lib.virginia.edu/">University of Virginia Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by University of Virginia Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...